Welcome to my little slice of the internet. If you've found your way here through my Youtube videos thank you for taking the time to come on over. I hope you 'll see something you like and will stop by again. If you've just happened upon my blog the same welcome to you but why not scooch on over to youtube to my channel and have a look at my videos.

Thursday, April 7, 2011

My first altered canvas.. Vintage Ladies

Hi everyone, I've spent the last 3 evenings working on my first altered canvas and I finished it last night. I took some photos and made a few quick videos of it before going to bed so I thought I would share them with you this morning.

  I'll just go through some of the details see if I can explain what I did with what.

 I made the lollipops by free handing rough circles on torn out book pages. I cut them out and inked the edges in frayed burlap and then walnut stain. The layers were glued with glossy accents and the centres just random buttons I had in my stash.

Made by backing book page flowers on acetate with mod podge then heating the acetate and shaping and holding it while it cools. Just done to give them a bit more substance than paper alone.  I used stickles on the edges just for a bit of sparkle. I actually made the 4 sets of petals intending to use them as one flower but it was too full so I separated it and used it as two. I don't have a punch or die for the flowers so I followed a video I saw on Youtube a long time ago. I've just tried to find it again so I could say who it was but I can't find it sorry.
 The "fan" was made by  cutting a rough semi circular piece of card and using that as a pattern to glue the maribu feathers to. to cover the glue centre I used part of an old odd earring. Turned it upside down and hot glued it on, I think it looks like the centre of a fan so I'm pleased. 

 The women were just print outs from the internet I found at Magic Moonlight studios free images blog
http://magicmoonlightfreeimages.blogspot.com/ Blanca has a truly beautiful collection of vintage images that are free to use. So big thank you for putting them all in one place.
All I did was print them out on a basic printer in black and white. As I only used a basic printer the images weren't great but I inked them all over with a collection of distress inks, roughed up the edges with my nails as I don't have a distress tool. I curled and ripped some edges and just generally tried to make them look old. I  then mod podged over the top to mix the inks smoothing them out and make them look more like photographs. I also used some crackle accents to add a bit more texture.

 I think that is about it for this one but if there is anything I have missed that you want to know just give me a shout and I'll do what I can to answer. I have also put a video of this on youtube if you want to see more.

I 'll list the things I used to make it hopefully remembering it all as I didn't write it down d'oh.
Black acrylic paint
distress inks in - Frayed Burlap, walnut stain, vintage photo, tea dye, and linen(cant remember the full name)
Mulberry paper roses from thehobbyhouse.co.uk
Gold lollipop flower from Jennifer at Craftbrulee
Vintage images from the internet just printed on a normal printer not great quality
Tim Holtz ornate book plate
Adage ticket
Flowers I made from Book pages
Lace coloured with my home made glimmer spray
Taupe bling (can't really see the top one in this pic but its in the gap at the top right.
Paper from the Paris Nights stack by SEI
Black Maribu feathers and part of an old earring for the fan

Thank you for reading and have a great day
Han xx

No comments:

Post a Comment