Welcome to my little slice of the internet. If you've found your way here through my Youtube videos thank you for taking the time to come on over. I hope you 'll see something you like and will stop by again. If you've just happened upon my blog the same welcome to you but why not scooch on over to youtube to my channel and have a look at my videos.

Wednesday, March 30, 2011

My First Project Share

I thought I'd share something I've been working on. I'm experimenting on themes I've seen online and having a go myself. This is my LIVE LAUGH LOVE altered book box. 



 



 It all started with the paper rosette flower the big one. I saw a Tim Holtz video about the paper rosette die and loved the look. Unfortunately at the moment I haven't got a die cutting machine (it's on the ever growing list lol) and needed to have a go at making my own. 

Now I don't have a scallop punch either (bear with me I know you're thinking "what exactly does she have??") I've only been doing this for 3 months and that's only 3 paydays so I'm getting there. I do however have some decorative edge scissors. I cut a 2 1.5 inch strips of paper from a 6inch paper pad (K and co Bailey stack) and cut along one side with the scissors with the scallop scissors. Now the scallop edges were too close together to fold each scallop so I concertina folded it every 2 scoring it first. I didn't measure it and I wasn't so careful about them being straight but it doesn't seem to matter and followed the rest of the instructions in the video. I inked the edges with frayed burlap distress ink after I'd stuck it all down. I could have done this before I folded it but I didn't think I was going to keep it. The brass centre of the flower is just a button I had bought to replace a lost one on a top I have (which I've since lost so hey ho might as well use it) just glued in with my hot glue gun. 

So I had a flower and nothing else. But looking at it it was shouting at me to use it. Forget about sleep people this was important! Like a woman possessed I rooted through my paper and embellishments. The Tim Holtz pad I've been saving? Out it came! The chains lying forgotten in a storage box after I sidelined jewelery making were remembered and unearthed. Black prima pearls, charms, distress inks, spare paper all piled up on the desk in front of me and suddenly I  had a project. Unexpected but welcome all the same.

You might be able to tell I am already a Tim Holtzaholic. The ornate plate, the type charms the cogs the muse token the paper the adage ticket. It's hard to resist his collections are just too beautiful. 

I wanted some movement on this box so although the chain is glossy accented to the piece the charms are just hanging free from the loops. The charm at the top was just made with beads from my jewelery stash and I'm in love with keys. I want to use them everywhere!

Now I'm excited to get home I have 2 boxes yes people 2 boxes full of goodies waiting for me at home. I'll make my FIRST ever haul video when all my things turn up and I'll take a photo to post and show you.

I love the phrase Live Laugh Love, it really is a mantra for life. It is something I aspire to each day, what better words could I use as a reminder of what is important in life? So I leave with this live like it's your last day, laugh to lighten your heart and love with the whole of your being.

Love 
Hanx


1 comment:

  1. oh my gosh your work is amazing. you should be proud of it.
    Laurie

    ReplyDelete